There are several ways that I can teach purpose to my readers for reading. I can let them experience reading using a variety of texts that they not only can understand but are interested in reading. They can bring newspapers, books, and magazines in, and we can learn the written words together. They can also bring in songs, movies, and images that they like because reading is more than just the written word it also encompasses life, which is something they also need to be taught. I can learn and know who my students are and where they come from culturally, social economically, and interests in order to help foster their creativity in reading. I can accept and take responsibility for facilitating their learning and be creative myself by developing interesting games or concepts to help them strengthen their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses, once I have assessed these areas. I can give them a purpose for reading when I realize that I am one of the privileged few who have the education I have and use that education to advance all students rather than oppress or impede any child from learning how to read effectively. I may have to study or go to conferences to help them, so that I can be creative in my teaching and learn different ways to instruct because not all students learn the same. This change begins with me and can be exponentially expanded through my example by both as instructor and reader to my students because I am not just transferring knowledge. I am preparing them to become life-long learners and appreciating and being able to read is a major instrument for success. I can instill in them that we are all continuing to grow and are unfinished in our learning. That if they come across a word they do not know, it is acceptable for them to look it up and find out the meaning of the word, this is not a weakness but strength and that is what good readers and writers do. I want them to know that I am learning from them through their approaching to readings and that together we are learning from experiences. If I show them that I am learning with them, this can help with motivation because they realize that even the teacher is continuing to learn. Teaching reasons for reading are complex and multifaceted, and I need to approach it as such by finding the right purposes to read for each student.
In order to help our students find purpose in reading we must find what interests them. But first we must find out their strengths and weaknesses. We can’t just toss our students into the deep end and hope they swim. We as teachers or future teachers have to find a way to guide them into the world of reading. A simply way of getting a student to read would be find a book based off their interest. If the student enjoys sports find a book at their level on sports. For a more purposeful reading tactic have the students read a book and hand in a written overview. The overview does not have to be pages long. It can be the paragraph that you find on the back of most books. Ask the students to read what is there already and then ask them to make changes to what is said. I know that when I was a student in Jr. High everything was based off length. I slowly started to hate reading and writing because we never had the chance to have fun using those skills. I think teachers need to get away from length and focus more on understanding. If a student can recall what they read in less than a page then what is the problem? Purpose has been lost in reading because it needs to be changed. It is boring to read when you have videogames and movies all around you. Reading may never be the number one thing on a kids list of things to do today. But we as teachers can at least give them some purpose for reading by TRYING (I say trying because not every student will respond the same way) to make it fun and interesting to the student.
First and foremost, students need to understand that print has meaning behind it. If the students don’t understand this, there will be no desire for them to open a book, let alone actually read one. The students need to understand that with every page they turn they are gaining new information. This information needs to be not only school subject related but, it needs to relate to the students interest. The students will have a greater desire to read if it is a topic of interest as opposed to a homework assignment. The students also need to see that print is all around in the world today. In order to live a successful adult life, students need to understand that reading is going to be a huge part of their daily lives. We, as teachers, need to introduce reading concepts, strategies, and comprehension methods in a variety of different ways. By doing this, all of the students have an increasing opportunity to become successful readers and understand its importance.
How can you help your students find "purpose" for reading? The purpose for reading is a very important part of reading. Without a purpose the student or individual will not have the desire to read. First the teacher needs to tell the students why they are reading. If the students know why they are reading they will see the purpose or advantages of reading. Second give the students incentives for reading. Just like adults, children like incentives to things they do. These incentives could range from free time in class to a candy bar or toy. Third, help the students find what themes of books that they are interests. Fourth, complete a KWL with the students to show them how you can apply different background information. Last, create a game when the students are reading. Each passage the students read it gives a clue to the next passage they have to read. At the end of the clues students will receive an incentive or reward.
Students should know the purpose behind reading. The purpose behind reading is what helps motivate students to read. Students should be aware of the variety of reading materials that are available. Teachers should use a variety of reading materials such as magazines, online articles, children’s literature, timelines, organizational charts, etc to introduce topics into their classrooms. Students should know they can read for other purposes other than studying for a test. Teachers should work with students to find a reading topic they find enjoyable. Students should also be reminded of the variety of ways that reading influences our daily life such as reading recipes, road signs, directions, etc. Students should look for a purpose in reading any type of print. By introducing strategies, a variety of material, and incentives to read; teachers will promote a purpose for reading.
In order for students to find a purpose to read they must first be motivated. It is hard for a student to want to read something that has no interest to him or her. I know that when I was in school I would not read something that was completely boring to me. I think it would be best to first find out what the student is interested in and then allow him or her to read what they choose. After reading their chosen material, the student can then extend their comprehension by writing a synopsis of the material and turn it in. The reading materials can change overtime once the student has mastered the fact that the text has meaning and gives them information. This will allow the student to read what they want and still receive information. Students will be more motivated to read if we, as teachers, can introduce new topics in different ways that appeal to them and make them want to learn more. Like Ashley said, it is always a win-win situation when incentives are present and serve as a purpose to read.
I think that it is essential for students to find a purpose behind reading. You can help your students find the purpose by discussing with them the type of text that they are reading and why it is important to read that particular text. Also, discuss why it is important to learn to read that type of text. For example, you could use a newspaper article and have students read it to find the purpose of the article. You could also discuss the purpose for reading a newspaper and how it will be beneficial for them to get used to reading that type of text in their lives. It is also important to help students find their own purposes for reading. What are they interested in? What do they want to know? Having the students do an interest survey would help you, as the teacher, to know overall class interests but it would also help each individual student in selecting something to read. It is important to have a wide variety of materials in the classroom for the students to choose from. They should be exposed to all different types of text in the classroom. The teacher should educate students on where to look for information regarding topics that they are interested in. If they want to learn more oatmeal recipes, where would they look? If they like sharks, how can they find other books or information? The teacher should also work with the librarian to teach students how to use the library to find materials.
I think by showing your students the different ways in which reading can be used will also show how purposful reading is. For example, modeling how reading can be used to find out about things. This can be done by taking topics and events that the students are interested in and having them research it to learn more. They have to read in order to research and this gives them a purpose for reading. Share with them things that you find entertaining or something that you know they would find entertaining. Let them bring in magazines, newspaper clipings or other reading material to share with the class about something that they found entertaining. This would show your students how reading can be used for enjoyment. I think that you just have to foster the idea that reading is not bad, its not a chore, it is something valuable and useful. I think in order to do this you as a teacher have to model and be genuine in modeling how important reading is and the many benefits that come from reading. Show your excitement about what they have shared with you about something that they have read.
Finding a purpose for reading is something that can be done. I think the biggest issue with text in schools today is that it’s boring. No one wants to read most of the stuff in there because it is cut and dry. Let students read what they want to read. Why should they read old British literature? It makes no sense to me. We talked about motivation and most students are not motivated to read this text. Texts in schools are directly related to this because there is no purpose to read that kind of stuff. In the school I'm observing in, there is a section on Old British literature, what is the point? When are special education students going to use this? They aren't, have the students read text they want to and then you will see the students realize there is a purpose to reading when they are learning something valuable.
Many students believe there is no purpose for reading, many believe it is stupid or not worth their time or because they believe they are not good at it. I believe students must be motivated to find purpose in what they are doing. For example I write this blog because I am motivated to get a better grade than if I did not, therefore my purpose for writing the blog is to do well in the class. I school students are taught the same thing, read this or become a good reader and you will succeed but what students need to understand is that they will need to be able to read to excel outside of the classroom for the rest of their lives. This should motivate them to want to learn to read, but is not the only motivation for students. Once a child finds a genre of stories they enjoy to read they will start to find purpose for reading and that is that they enjoy it. I believe if you can find out what they enjoy to read they will find purpose for reading. Whether it is grades, enjoyment, or the student’s parents students will find their purpose for reading.
I feel, in order to help students develop a “purpose” for reading that we, teachers, parents, mentors, etc., need to make reading meaningful to them. Of course, for it to be meaningful to someone, it must matter to their thoughts, ideas, what they are doing or have an effect on their everyday lives. It might be something they are interested in, want to learn about, just want to know or an escape from the day to day realities. However, if reading is difficult they will find another way to get the information or satisfy whatever their want or need is.
So it is up to us to make reading easier, to build fluency, comprehension and, the trick is, do it in a manner that is not torturous to them. This is a tall order to fill for some students that have a very difficult time with reading. Students need our help to open up doors and worlds that have been closed to them. If we can make reading easier, by working with students, using research based strategies and methods, reading will become less torturous and maybe, more fun. The easier reading is the more likely they are to do it. The easier reading is the more purposeful it will become.
For students to find a purpose for reading the have to read material that is interesting to them. Feel that the biggest down fall of teachers in reading classes is that they make students read something that had nothing to do with anything that they care about. In my opinion getting students involved in reading is very simple. Don’t bore them! To this day I avoid reading when related to school, but enjoy reading Field and Stream or something that I care about. Let them read about something that they want to learn about and they will find a purpose.
Students need to know the purposes behind reading-to educate, to persuade, to entertain, to inform and that print has a purpose behind it. Teaching the purpose behind reading and that print carries a message should be begin in the early years. Teachers need to know the level of reading that their students are at and what topics the students are interested in. Other things to take into consideration are cultural issues, socioeconomic status, and educational levels. Students should see a variety of print such as magazines, newspapers, short stories that are fiction and nonfiction, and poems. Lessons will be more meaningful and engaging to students if the lessons are understandable and are about topics that interest them. I do agree with Marshall, do not bore them!
In reading, I think “purpose” comes when students are interested in the material they are reading. The junior high students I work with, are not the best readers and are not at grade level, but we are reading novels that are close to grade level. They are interested in the novels we have read, and even though they are reading books that might be difficult for them, the students are comprehending the material. When students enjoy what they read, they want to continue reading, which is good for all students.
Most importantly you need to let them know that there REALLY is a purpose for reading. If you need to discuss these things with your students then do so. Reading obviously plays a vital role in living and functioning in general. Something that I have found to be successful is to allow your students to choose their own text. Now I realize that there are stipulations that teachers are required to follow but there are ways to get around this. Read what you need to read and help your students to make connections to real life situations, things that they can relate to. For free-time reading allow your students to read whatever they want, as long as they are reading. Let them choose books, magazines, newspapers, whatever interests them! This will motivate them to want to read more, even if it isn't the instructional texts that schools most commonly use for free-time reading. Books are forced upon students to a point that most of them are completely turned off to reading. I am guilty of saying, just read it you will like it. I have to remember just because it is something that interests me, does not mean that it will interest them too! Help your students FIND something that interests them specifically and then go from there! You will see the results and the excitement when they are learning things from the text they have chosen.
Helping students realize a purpose for reading is difficult; finding a purpose for reading is always there. Coming right out and telling the students the author’s purpose for writing the story helps them see what the main idea is. In our Basal series there is a variety of purposes in reading set forth, getting the students to understand them is another story. I like to have the students look for the meaning of the story. What can they learn from the events that took place in the story? Is there a moral to the story? Can they relate to the story? The difficult thing is to get students to read for fun, not for a grade, not for points towards a goal but because it is interesting to them. Students must be interested in what they are reading. Boys are especially difficult to find something they are interesting in.
I think it is very important for students to have a purpose for reading. First, they must be interested in the text they are reading for them to have a purpose. For this to happen, students must have access to a variety of text. This allows them to find something that they can relate to, especially if texts are available relating to their culture, sports interests, or other topics in which they can make connections to their lives. Guided questions might also help some students be more focused while reading. In order to find texts that a student can be interested in, you must find out their strengths and weaknesses as a reader. This will help the student find a book that is at the correct reading level. Students will also benefit from having the text introduced to them before reading. Having the students read the back cover, predict by looking at the cover, and by doing a quick skimming of the book will help them prepare for what they are about to read. Without a purpose, students are likely to not comprehend what they are reading. This does not help the student become a better reader, or allow them to learn how to comprehend the text they are reading.
I agree with most everybody when they say that one of the most important things, if not the most, is to find where the student’s interests are. Although I can read romance books I certainly am not motivated or interested in doing so. I will read not one word more than I have to for the assignment. However, if you give me something I want to read, I will not only read that but ask for some more of the same. You do however have to worry, but only a little, about getting stuck in only one genre. It is also important to expand your horizons so to speak. The purpose of reading for pleasure, aside from the pleasure of doing so , is to help improve reading skills that will translate to other forms of reading, such as text needed to gain information. This is important for doing well academically. My experience has been that children who read well for pleasure, and comprehend what they are reading, also read well and with comprehension for academics. The teacher can help by being excited about reading and letting the students know how wonderful and important reading is. Also let the student know how many opportunities are available to good readers. In other words, show them your excitement about reading and the possibilities associated with reading.
I often hear my students ask me, “Why are we doing this?” This is a valid question and students have every right to know. I agree with what others have said and that it’s important to take into consideration students interests. Students will be much more likely to read something they are interested in and ultimately have better comprehension as a result. However, as we all know in the academic arena that not everything is going to spark all of our interests. I think it’s important that we as teachers learn how to set purposes for our students when interest may not be there. Ways we can do this is by providing adequate background information especially when nonfiction is involved or can be incorporated. Also, as we’ve seen examples in class, we can include the use of graphic organizers in our instruction. As many others have said, reading can take you places and students need to have strategies and purposes that help them to read books and passages for enjoyment as well as those needed in the academic setting.
There are several ways that I can teach purpose to my readers for reading. I can let them experience reading using a variety of texts that they not only can understand but are interested in reading. They can bring newspapers, books, and magazines in, and we can learn the written words together. They can also bring in songs, movies, and images that they like because reading is more than just the written word it also encompasses life, which is something they also need to be taught. I can learn and know who my students are and where they come from culturally, social economically, and interests in order to help foster their creativity in reading. I can accept and take responsibility for facilitating their learning and be creative myself by developing interesting games or concepts to help them strengthen their strengths and strengthen their weaknesses, once I have assessed these areas. I can give them a purpose for reading when I realize that I am one of the privileged few who have the education I have and use that education to advance all students rather than oppress or impede any child from learning how to read effectively. I may have to study or go to conferences to help them, so that I can be creative in my teaching and learn different ways to instruct because not all students learn the same. This change begins with me and can be exponentially expanded through my example by both as instructor and reader to my students because I am not just transferring knowledge. I am preparing them to become life-long learners and appreciating and being able to read is a major instrument for success. I can instill in them that we are all continuing to grow and are unfinished in our learning. That if they come across a word they do not know, it is acceptable for them to look it up and find out the meaning of the word, this is not a weakness but strength and that is what good readers and writers do. I want them to know that I am learning from them through their approaching to readings and that together we are learning from experiences. If I show them that I am learning with them, this can help with motivation because they realize that even the teacher is continuing to learn. Teaching reasons for reading are complex and multifaceted, and I need to approach it as such by finding the right purposes to read for each student.
ReplyDeleteIn order to help our students find purpose in reading we must find what interests them. But first we must find out their strengths and weaknesses. We can’t just toss our students into the deep end and hope they swim. We as teachers or future teachers have to find a way to guide them into the world of reading. A simply way of getting a student to read would be find a book based off their interest. If the student enjoys sports find a book at their level on sports. For a more purposeful reading tactic have the students read a book and hand in a written overview. The overview does not have to be pages long. It can be the paragraph that you find on the back of most books. Ask the students to read what is there already and then ask them to make changes to what is said. I know that when I was a student in Jr. High everything was based off length. I slowly started to hate reading and writing because we never had the chance to have fun using those skills. I think teachers need to get away from length and focus more on understanding. If a student can recall what they read in less than a page then what is the problem? Purpose has been lost in reading because it needs to be changed. It is boring to read when you have videogames and movies all around you. Reading may never be the number one thing on a kids list of things to do today. But we as teachers can at least give them some purpose for reading by TRYING (I say trying because not every student will respond the same way) to make it fun and interesting to the student.
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost, students need to understand that print has meaning behind it. If the students don’t understand this, there will be no desire for them to open a book, let alone actually read one. The students need to understand that with every page they turn they are gaining new information. This information needs to be not only school subject related but, it needs to relate to the students interest. The students will have a greater desire to read if it is a topic of interest as opposed to a homework assignment. The students also need to see that print is all around in the world today. In order to live a successful adult life, students need to understand that reading is going to be a huge part of their daily lives. We, as teachers, need to introduce reading concepts, strategies, and comprehension methods in a variety of different ways. By doing this, all of the students have an increasing opportunity to become successful readers and understand its importance.
ReplyDeleteHow can you help your students find "purpose" for reading?
ReplyDeleteThe purpose for reading is a very important part of reading. Without a purpose the student or individual will not have the desire to read. First the teacher needs to tell the students why they are reading. If the students know why they are reading they will see the purpose or advantages of reading. Second give the students incentives for reading. Just like adults, children like incentives to things they do. These incentives could range from free time in class to a candy bar or toy. Third, help the students find what themes of books that they are interests. Fourth, complete a KWL with the students to show them how you can apply different background information. Last, create a game when the students are reading. Each passage the students read it gives a clue to the next passage they have to read. At the end of the clues students will receive an incentive or reward.
Students should know the purpose behind reading. The purpose behind reading is what helps motivate students to read. Students should be aware of the variety of reading materials that are available. Teachers should use a variety of reading materials such as magazines, online articles, children’s literature, timelines, organizational charts, etc to introduce topics into their classrooms. Students should know they can read for other purposes other than studying for a test. Teachers should work with students to find a reading topic they find enjoyable. Students should also be reminded of the variety of ways that reading influences our daily life such as reading recipes, road signs, directions, etc. Students should look for a purpose in reading any type of print. By introducing strategies, a variety of material, and incentives to read; teachers will promote a purpose for reading.
ReplyDeleteIn order for students to find a purpose to read they must first be motivated. It is hard for a student to want to read something that has no interest to him or her. I know that when I was in school I would not read something that was completely boring to me. I think it would be best to first find out what the student is interested in and then allow him or her to read what they choose. After reading their chosen material, the student can then extend their comprehension by writing a synopsis of the material and turn it in. The reading materials can change overtime once the student has mastered the fact that the text has meaning and gives them information. This will allow the student to read what they want and still receive information. Students will be more motivated to read if we, as teachers, can introduce new topics in different ways that appeal to them and make them want to learn more. Like Ashley said, it is always a win-win situation when incentives are present and serve as a purpose to read.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is essential for students to find a purpose behind reading. You can help your students find the purpose by discussing with them the type of text that they are reading and why it is important to read that particular text. Also, discuss why it is important to learn to read that type of text. For example, you could use a newspaper article and have students read it to find the purpose of the article. You could also discuss the purpose for reading a newspaper and how it will be beneficial for them to get used to reading that type of text in their lives.
ReplyDeleteIt is also important to help students find their own purposes for reading. What are they interested in? What do they want to know? Having the students do an interest survey would help you, as the teacher, to know overall class interests but it would also help each individual student in selecting something to read. It is important to have a wide variety of materials in the classroom for the students to choose from. They should be exposed to all different types of text in the classroom. The teacher should educate students on where to look for information regarding topics that they are interested in. If they want to learn more oatmeal recipes, where would they look? If they like sharks, how can they find other books or information? The teacher should also work with the librarian to teach students how to use the library to find materials.
I think by showing your students the different ways in which reading can be used will also show how purposful reading is. For example, modeling how reading can be used to find out about things. This can be done by taking topics and events that the students are interested in and having them research it to learn more. They have to read in order to research and this gives them a purpose for reading. Share with them things that you find entertaining or something that you know they would find entertaining. Let them bring in magazines, newspaper clipings or other reading material to share with the class about something that they found entertaining. This would show your students how reading can be used for enjoyment. I think that you just have to foster the idea that reading is not bad, its not a chore, it is something valuable and useful. I think in order to do this you as a teacher have to model and be genuine in modeling how important reading is and the many benefits that come from reading. Show your excitement about what they have shared with you about something that they have read.
ReplyDeleteFinding a purpose for reading is something that can be done. I think the biggest issue with text in schools today is that it’s boring. No one wants to read most of the stuff in there because it is cut and dry. Let students read what they want to read. Why should they read old British literature? It makes no sense to me. We talked about motivation and most students are not motivated to read this text. Texts in schools are directly related to this because there is no purpose to read that kind of stuff. In the school I'm observing in, there is a section on Old British literature, what is the point? When are special education students going to use this? They aren't, have the students read text they want to and then you will see the students realize there is a purpose to reading when they are learning something valuable.
ReplyDeleteMany students believe there is no purpose for reading, many believe it is stupid or not worth their time or because they believe they are not good at it. I believe students must be motivated to find purpose in what they are doing. For example I write this blog because I am motivated to get a better grade than if I did not, therefore my purpose for writing the blog is to do well in the class. I school students are taught the same thing, read this or become a good reader and you will succeed but what students need to understand is that they will need to be able to read to excel outside of the classroom for the rest of their lives. This should motivate them to want to learn to read, but is not the only motivation for students. Once a child finds a genre of stories they enjoy to read they will start to find purpose for reading and that is that they enjoy it. I believe if you can find out what they enjoy to read they will find purpose for reading. Whether it is grades, enjoyment, or the student’s parents students will find their purpose for reading.
ReplyDeleteI feel, in order to help students develop a “purpose” for reading that we, teachers, parents, mentors, etc., need to make reading meaningful to them. Of course, for it to be meaningful to someone, it must matter to their thoughts, ideas, what they are doing or have an effect on their everyday lives. It might be something they are interested in, want to learn about, just want to know or an escape from the day to day realities. However, if reading is difficult they will find another way to get the information or satisfy whatever their want or need is.
ReplyDeleteSo it is up to us to make reading easier, to build fluency, comprehension and, the trick is, do it in a manner that is not torturous to them. This is a tall order to fill for some students that have a very difficult time with reading. Students need our help to open up doors and worlds that have been closed to them. If we can make reading easier, by working with students, using research based strategies and methods, reading will become less torturous and maybe, more fun. The easier reading is the more likely they are to do it. The easier reading is the more purposeful it will become.
For students to find a purpose for reading the have to read material that is interesting to them. Feel that the biggest down fall of teachers in reading classes is that they make students read something that had nothing to do with anything that they care about. In my opinion getting students involved in reading is very simple. Don’t bore them! To this day I avoid reading when related to school, but enjoy reading Field and Stream or something that I care about. Let them read about something that they want to learn about and they will find a purpose.
ReplyDeleteStudents need to know the purposes behind reading-to educate, to persuade, to entertain, to inform and that print has a purpose behind it. Teaching the purpose behind reading and that print carries a message should be begin in the early years. Teachers need to know the level of reading that their students are at and what topics the students are interested in. Other things to take into consideration are cultural issues, socioeconomic status, and educational levels. Students should see a variety of print such as magazines, newspapers, short stories that are fiction and nonfiction, and poems. Lessons will be more meaningful and engaging to students if the lessons are understandable and are about topics that interest them. I do agree with Marshall, do not bore them!
ReplyDeleteIn reading, I think “purpose” comes when students are interested in the material they are reading. The junior high students I work with, are not the best readers and are not at grade level, but we are reading novels that are close to grade level. They are interested in the novels we have read, and even though they are reading books that might be difficult for them, the students are comprehending the material. When students enjoy what they read, they want to continue reading, which is good for all students.
ReplyDeleteMost importantly you need to let them know that there REALLY is a purpose for reading. If you need to discuss these things with your students then do so. Reading obviously plays a vital role in living and functioning in general.
ReplyDeleteSomething that I have found to be successful is to allow your students to choose their own text. Now I realize that there are stipulations that teachers are required to follow but there are ways to get around this. Read what you need to read and help your students to make connections to real life situations, things that they can relate to.
For free-time reading allow your students to read whatever they want, as long as they are reading. Let them choose books, magazines, newspapers, whatever interests them! This will motivate them to want to read more, even if it isn't the instructional texts that schools most commonly use for free-time reading.
Books are forced upon students to a point that most of them are completely turned off to reading. I am guilty of saying, just read it you will like it. I have to remember just because it is something that interests me, does not mean that it will interest them too!
Help your students FIND something that interests them specifically and then go from there! You will see the results and the excitement when they are learning things from the text they have chosen.
Helping students realize a purpose for reading is difficult; finding a purpose for reading is always there. Coming right out and telling the students the author’s purpose for writing the story helps them see what the main idea is. In our Basal series there is a variety of purposes in reading set forth, getting the students to understand them is another story. I like to have the students look for the meaning of the story. What can they learn from the events that took place in the story? Is there a moral to the story? Can they relate to the story?
ReplyDeleteThe difficult thing is to get students to read for fun, not for a grade, not for points towards a goal but because it is interesting to them. Students must be interested in what they are reading. Boys are especially difficult to find something they are interesting in.
I think it is very important for students to have a purpose for reading. First, they must be interested in the text they are reading for them to have a purpose. For this to happen, students must have access to a variety of text. This allows them to find something that they can relate to, especially if texts are available relating to their culture, sports interests, or other topics in which they can make connections to their lives. Guided questions might also help some students be more focused while reading. In order to find texts that a student can be interested in, you must find out their strengths and weaknesses as a reader. This will help the student find a book that is at the correct reading level. Students will also benefit from having the text introduced to them before reading. Having the students read the back cover, predict by looking at the cover, and by doing a quick skimming of the book will help them prepare for what they are about to read. Without a purpose, students are likely to not comprehend what they are reading. This does not help the student become a better reader, or allow them to learn how to comprehend the text they are reading.
ReplyDeleteI agree with most everybody when they say that one of the most important things, if not the most, is to find where the student’s interests are. Although I can read romance books I certainly am not motivated or interested in doing so. I will read not one word more than I have to for the assignment. However, if you give me something I want to read, I will not only read that but ask for some more of the same. You do however have to worry, but only a little, about getting stuck in only one genre. It is also important to expand your horizons so to speak. The purpose of reading for pleasure, aside from the pleasure of doing so , is to help improve reading skills that will translate to other forms of reading, such as text needed to gain information. This is important for doing well academically. My experience has been that children who read well for pleasure, and comprehend what they are reading, also read well and with comprehension for academics. The teacher can help by being excited about reading and letting the students know how wonderful and important reading is. Also let the student know how many opportunities are available to good readers. In other words, show them your excitement about reading and the possibilities associated with reading.
ReplyDeleteI often hear my students ask me, “Why are we doing this?” This is a valid question and students have every right to know. I agree with what others have said and that it’s important to take into consideration students interests. Students will be much more likely to read something they are interested in and ultimately have better comprehension as a result. However, as we all know in the academic arena that not everything is going to spark all of our interests. I think it’s important that we as teachers learn how to set purposes for our students when interest may not be there. Ways we can do this is by providing adequate background information especially when nonfiction is involved or can be incorporated. Also, as we’ve seen examples in class, we can include the use of graphic organizers in our instruction. As many others have said, reading can take you places and students need to have strategies and purposes that help them to read books and passages for enjoyment as well as those needed in the academic setting.
ReplyDelete